Support Worker/Driver (North Birmingham, Great Barr)
Looking for a new challenge in 2019? Are you patient, empathetic and friendly? Are you a careful and confident driver? Do you have excellent writing skills and are able to assist with basic computer and paper based admin tasks?
- Closing date is midday on 31 January 2019
The successful candidate will be supporting one of Blind Veteran UK’s visually impaired Community IT Instructor, who provides training for individuals and groups who have served in the Armed Forces and National Service, and are now experiencing severe sight loss.
This is a part-time ‘Access to Work’ funded role (up to 26 hours a week). The candidate will either be self-employed or provided through an agency. *Please note the successful candidate will not be an employee of Blind Veterans UK.
Closing date: On-going
As a Support Worker, your duties will include:
- Supporting the Community IT Instructor to attend meetings, assist at community training events, during member home visits, etc.(Note: some overnight stays will be required)
- Driving the Community IT Instructor’s car from Great Barr to vast locations across the region from the Midlands to the East of England (approximate parameters are North Norfolk, Southend-on-Sea & Oxfordshire), so that the Community IT Instructor can carry out the requirements of their role (The use of personal vehicle will be considered on request).
- Providing sighted guiding to the Community IT Instructor within unfamiliar environments.
- Providing general administration support, including uploading training reports, processing work expenses and updating member records.
- Assisting with the general administrative preparation of training sessions, workshops, information days, etc.
- Providing descriptive and reading assistance when necessary.
- Note taking when required.
- Extracting information (from printed materials) and type into a suitable and compatible format for the Community IT Instructor.
To excel within this role you will:
- Have a full clean driving licence.
- Have a strong administration skills, with the ability to work confidently face-to-face in an IT environment.
- Be proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Have a positive and proactive attitude.
- Be comfortable in an environment with dogs and be able to assist with dog walking when required.
If this sounds like you, please send your CV along with a written statement (no longer than 500 words), detailing why you feel you are suitable for this role to email@example.com.