Community Support Worker - Rehabilitation Officer (ROVI)
Are you a Community Support Worker (Rehabilitation Officer for the Vision Impaired - ROVI) looking for the chance to make a significant contribution to the quality of life for vision impaired veterans?
- £28,704 per annum
- Home based (within Cornwall, Devon or West Somerset) with regional reach across the South West
- Closing date is 11:59 PM on 17 February 2020
At Blind Veterans UK, we believe that no one who has served our Country should have to battle blindness alone. It is our mission to ensure that vision impaired ex-service men and women have access to the finest quality of services to help them discover life beyond sight loss.
Our Community Support Workers (ROVIs) work as part of a multi-disciplinary team, largely home based with regular face to face and telephone contact with Operational and Volunteer teams across the region. There will be weekly visits to Blind Veterans UK’s training centres/regional offices as well as to member’s homes across the Region.
In the Community Support Worker (ROVI) role you will:
- Provide comprehensive, needs-led assessments and devise and implement training interventions in the core areas of orientation and mobility, independent living skills, low vision and communications in order to maintain and develop members’ independence and quality of life
- Provide training to small groups of members, staff and volunteers, including awareness and sighted guide sessions, in a variety of settings
- Initiate new ways of working in the community in response to identified areas of need
- Establish and maintain networks of contacts with organisations and groups in local communities to help members access a wide range of training, support and social networks
- Be required to undertake a considerable amount of travel and overnight stays are required. As a consequence, there will be times when there may be a need to work outside a standard working week
- Need to expend occasional physical effort when moving equipment such as electronic magnifiers (CCTVs) around during home visits
The ideal Community Support Worker (ROVI) for this role will:
- Hold a Diploma in Higher Education (DipHE) in Rehabilitation Studies (VI), or equivalent ROVI qualification,
- Have experience working with people with a vision impairment including undertaking ROVI assessments and training
- Have experience developing and delivering services to vision impaired people in the local community
- Be enthusiastic, approachable and solution focussed
- Have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office as well as excellent organisational and communication skills
- Be able to travel to any part of the region (including Scotland and Northern Ireland) some of which may be inaccessible by public transport
Benefits include free life assurance, sickness benefit scheme, childcare voucher scheme and Employee Assistance Programme, a generous pension scheme and potentially access to a company car dependant on geographical area.
This position will be subject to an Enhanced DBS check.
Closing date: Monday 17 February 2020 (midnight)
Telephone Interviews: 27 and 28 February 2020
Recruitment & Selection Day: Thursday 5 March 2020 (Devon/Somerset area)
If you think you have what it takes to be part of a developing and growing charity that values its beneficiaries, staff and volunteers, please look at the full Job Description and complete an Application Form and Personal Details Form, which can be downloaded below, and send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note only completed application forms will be accepted for consideration, not CVs.
If any part of the application process is inaccessible to you, please advise us via email@example.com