Gift of shares
Find out more about gift of shares, and help support our blind veterans achieve life beyond sight loss.
Giving to us through stocks, shares or investments is an extremely tax-efficient way to help. If you have any investments you'd like to give to us, they could make a lasting difference to blind veterans. There's no capital gains tax to pay on your gift, and your donation could reduce your taxable income. Giving to us through stocks, shares or investments is an extremely tax-efficient way to help
How it works and why donate shares to Blind veterans UK
We can accept any sort of investments, and the tax benefits can be considerable.
For example, if you give us shares worth £1,000, you can reduce your taxable income by £1,000. So if you pay higher rate tax, you could save £400 on income tax for that year. Also, you won't have to pay any capital gains tax on any increase in the shares' value since you bought them.
Another option is to sell us your shares at less than their market value, as long as they're still quoted on the stock market. This way we receive them at a discount and you can still claim tax relief against the gift.
Donating shares to us is one of the most tax-effective ways you can give money.
• You won't have to pay any capital gains tax on the shares you donate and you can claim income tax relief too.
• If you are a higher rate (40%) taxpayer you will be able to claim income tax relief equal to 40% of the value of the gift.
• If you are a highest rate (45%) taxpayer you will be able to claim income tax relief equal to 45% of the value of the gift.
In order to qualify for the tax relief, the shares or securities must be:
• listed or dealt on a recognised UK or foreign stock exchange
• units in authorised unit trusts
• shares in a UK open-ended investment company
• holdings in certain foreign collective investment schemes.
For more information, please contact us on 0207 616 7938 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find out more
Inspiring stories of how Blind Veterans UK helped rebuild the lives of blind veterans with sight loss
Does your employer have a payroll giving/ pay as you earn scheme? If so you could support us through your salary
We welcome the opportunity to work together to make a difference to the lives of our veterans and their families