Apply for free support
We are here to help anyone who has served in the Armed Forces, or who has done National Service, and who is now living with significant sight loss.
If this sounds like you, or someone you care for, applying for our free support is easy.
We want to make applying for support either for yourself, or on behalf of someone else, as simple as possible. Just follow these few steps and you’ll be well on your way to joining our other 4,700 veteran beneficiaries.
How to apply:
- Call us free on 0800 389 7979, complete our application form request or download our application form
- Send us the completed application form
- Once we have the form, we will contact the service records office and your eye specialist
- We may ask the applicant to visit our ophthalmic clinic in London. If travelling is difficult, we can make alternative arrangements
Once you have become a beneficiary, one of our Community Support Workers will visit you at home. They will discuss your needs, give you advice and may suggest a visit to one of our centres in Brighton or Llandudno.
They may also recommend training in mobility, independent living skills, using low vision equipment and IT, either at one of our centres or in your home.
To qualify for support from Blind Veterans UK, you need to meet two criteria:
1) Military service
You need to have served in either:
- UK Armed Forces, including National Service or the Reserves.
- Served during WWII in the Merchant Navy, or in Polish/Indian forces under British command.
- As a reservist, you need to have either completed at least one year's satisfactory service after training (qualified for bounty) or less time if blinded on duty
2) Sight loss criteria
To meet our ophthalmic criteria, you need to present with visual acuities in both eyes which are equal to (or worse than) 6/60 or counting fingers.
With certain ophthalmic conditions where field loss is a factor we request field test results and take these into consideration when determining whether or not an applicant meets our ophthalmic criteria.
"The support from Blind Veterans UK has been truly amazing – it honestly saved my life and I’m a different person now."
If you are a vision-impaired ex-Service man or woman, or care for someone who is, you can find out more by phoning 0800 389 7979 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out more about how we help
If you’d like to find out more about the inspirational veterans we support then read their stories here
If you’d like more information on the care we provide then please visit our care page and we’ll let you know more
Feel like you want to know more about Blind Veterans UK? Then visit our about us page for up to date information