How to leave a gift

Veteran making a cup of tea

Using a solicitor

We recommend using a solicitor to make or change your will, so that your wishes are correctly taken care of. This could save lots of time and expense for friends and family when administering your will. Friends and family may provide a recommendation of a solicitor. You can also contact the Law Society to find a solicitor in your area.

Who do you wish to benefit?

Once your loved ones are taken care of you may wish to remember your favourite charitable causes. We hope that you will consider Blind Veterans UK if you decide to leave a gift to charity.

If you leave a gift to charity in your will, your gift will be free of inheritance tax.

Please speak to your solicitor for advice on how to limit the amount of inheritance tax your estate will be liable to. For more inheritance tax information visit HMRC.

What type of gift could you leave Blind Veterans UK?

  • A share in your estate - known as a residuary gift. This happens once all other wishes and administrative expenses have been met. This is probably the best option to leave to us as it will ensure those close to you are provided for first.
  • A cash gift - known as a pecuniary gift. It means a fixed sum of money, for example £10,000.
  • A specific gift - an item of value, such as jewellery, a picture or an antique.

 Have you already made a Will?

 If you have already made your Will it is important that it is kept up to date. It is important that the details and clauses still reflect your wishes, especially if there has been a change in your personal circumstances.

Want to know more about leaving a gift in your Will?

Please contact the Legacy Team on 020 7616 7953 or email us with any queries.